Friday, February 24, 2012

Kitchen Progress

I've been slowly working on my kitchen transformation. Here's some new stuff:

A new vase thingy for my utensils... way, way better than our old "wine chiller" terra cotta thing we used to have! Not to mention, it was way too small and drove me crazy... it's amazing what you can live with for 14 years!


I love my new light fixtures, and they were a really great deal! And I was thrilled to stumble across the artwork... I really had this "blissful" idea of doing some crafty artwork with the kids for the kitchen... but when I saw this I was excited... cha ching! Add to basket!! :-) It wasn't a super, thrift-store kind of deal, more like a Winners/Home Sense kind of price. Anyway, I'm just glad to have something on the wall and be done with it! And the colours are perfect.

Okay, so next step is to paint the cabinets. I'm hoping to get started on Monday. I'm nervous/excited! It's gonna be a TON of work, and I won't be getting any help from Rodger, so I better know what I'm getting myself into! Eeek. Wish me luck!!

Oh, and what do you think about a wallpaper backsplash? I found this at Home Depot and the wallpaper is shiny and has a slight bumpy texture to it.... the colour scheme on the right would work well.

http://www.wallpaperstore.com/scripts/Detail.idc?ProductID=530810&LogID=16986618&Page=1

8 comments:

  1. Nice Job! Love the art work. We painted kitchen cabinets in Victoria, use a spray gun! works wonders. Don't forget to post a picture of you painting those cabinets...lol
    Irene S..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene!! I was thinking of you when I started painting over my multi-coloured backsplash tiles... it was a fun kitchen, but time for a change, big time! :-) I am going to be using a paint brush, as I'm using that cabinet kit, which includes a special de-glosser/primer, 2 coats of stain/paint and then a sealer. I think it'll be fine, I've read alot of reviews from people who have used that Rustoleum kit and they say it works great. I'll definitely post "in progress" photos! LOL

      Delete
  2. I love the artwork. I need to find something new for my kitchen wall as well.

    Your kitchen will look great. And it's going a lot faster than my bedroom transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonita...it looks awesome. Love the artwork and the colour scheme.. the whole shibang. Is that a word?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE how the fixtures look up! They were such a find that day. And the artwork is so you. If you are feeling a hissy fit coming on, just go stare at the artwork for a bit and it'll turn that frown upside down (most times...) ; ) YvonneV PS - I couldn't get the link to the wallpaper to work : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne!! the fixtures match better in real life, but I don't even care regardless.. I love them. Thanks for helping me shop! And I think the hissy fit is going to happen Monday when I start taking down the cabinets... and I'll think to myself "augh...what am I doing??" :-)

      Is there a trick to adding a link to a blog?? Clearly I don't know how... anyway, I was browsing through a few wallpaper website, mostly under "bricks, tile, stone" kind of places... there's tons of neat options but I"m afraid it will look cheesy/too "faux"... which is what I had before. I think we need to make another Home Depot date soon!! :-)

      http://blinds-wallpaper.net/wallpaper/index.php

      Delete
  5. Nice Bonita love the picture. HH has the countertop renovation paint on sales right now. we have stocked in the store a taupe, but it comes in 4 different colors and it says it can be done in a day.....hmmm gotcha thinking!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?? No way.... I checked everywhere for it, and no one has it in stock. Thought I would have to order it online! Guess I should've checked my first choice after all! I'll have a look today maybe. I'm afraid I will wreck my counters though... what do you think of painting perfectly "good" countertops? Would you do it??

      Delete