Saturday, February 4, 2012

Kitchen colours - Help!!

It's time to give my dated 1980's kitchen a facelift. 8 years ago my sister and her family came for a visit while Rodger was out of town for business. We decided to do our own episode of "While you Were Out" (remember that TV show?) and painted the kitchen, complete with faux tile backsplash. I've loved my cozy kitchen for a long time but lately I am so sick of the busy backsplash and textured walls. This is what it looked like a couple of weeks ago.



Now, I have a "new to me" white smooth-top stove, and I flipped the almond-flavoured panels of my dishwasher for a quick facelift. I bought white appliance paint and plan to paint our fridge in the Spring, and also bought new light fixtures that need to be hung up, and installed new hardware. And... drum roll please... I am painting my cabinets antique white in the Spring as well!! Woot woot!

But in the meantime, I primed over the backsplash and bought 2 colour samples from Benjamin Moore... here's a few photos of my testers:





HELP!! Seriously, I'm getting so overwhelmed with colour choices. And whatever colour I choose, it has to match my tile, burgundy banquette and purplish/brown speckled counters. I want my kitchen to be cheerful and brighter than it currently is... I'm leaning towards a lighter version of the mauve colour, just to be completely different. What do you think?? I don't love the green because it's too similar to my hallway.

For my Benjamin Moore fans, the colours are: Porcelain 2113-60 and Sesame CC-638 (which looks remarkably like Camoflage 2143-40 (hallway).

Let's see if anyone actually reads my posts... Ev?? Help??

2 comments:

  1. Of course I read your posts! I wish I had my fan deck so I could truly see those colors though. Based on their website, the girls and I all like the Sesame best, but don't do it if you don't love it.

    How about something more neutral? A beige or mocha kind of color? On screen, Shaker beige looks nice (HC 45).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the green but it's so strange that it looks so similar to camoflage, and yet on the swatch they're completely different?? I like the shaker beige, and it would work with the burgundy and tile... but I worry that my kitchen will be too brown/boring/not cheerful? But maybe that's because my cabinets aren't painted yet.... can you think of a more cheerful green that isn't too yellow or neon?

      Delete