Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Time to breath

It's been a busy 7 days. Full of birthday parties, family get-togethers, way too much baking, packing, cleaning, travelling, WEDDING, more family, livestock issues, school dance performances, gardening... Whew! I'm so glad tomorrow is Friday.



Last Thursday Ruby turned 3!! I can't get over how big she is... and how gorgeous!! (Some people have mentioned she looks like me... I'm just sayin'!) Anyway, Ruby insisted on wearing her Disneyland baseball hat as her official party hat... and why not? We had a typical Talstra party the day before, with a million kids running around the yard, a huge bowl of cheetos and cupcakes! On her actual birthday we headed to Surrey and spent a lovely, chaotic evening with the Talstra's, including a pizza dinner.


Then we were off, bright and early on Friday, to Kelowna for Jeremy and Holly's wedding. We saw most of my side of the family, with the exception of Brian and Irene and families. It was great to spend time with each other, and the kids had much-needed bonding time with their cousins.

We had a weiner roast:



Played at the park in Peachland:



Looked at "vintage" hockey & baseball cards with big cousin Alex:


Played with blinkin' Lincoln Logs, and just lazed around, enjoying each other's company:



And of course an awesome wedding to attend, which is why we were all there. I can't believe I have a nephew who is married now! Ruby was a flower girl for her big cousin's wedding... she looked adorable but, sadly, she won't be in any photos with the rest of the wedding party. She absolutely refused to have her picture taken. I begged, pleaded, bribed, threatened... nothing worked. But when it came time for the ceremony, she was the only little one who managed to walk down the aisle without a scene... an award winning performance from my princess, which was met with a big bag of Ju Jubes for a job well done.



The ferries were crazy busy on Monday afternoon and when we arrived at 1:45 p.m., we found out that the 3 pm sailing was full and the 5 pm was already 60% full! Nuts! So I walked on the 3 pm ferry with the kids, and left Rodger to sit with the car until the next sailing.... I'm not sure who got the better deal?? I was with the kids but managed to knit while they played and watched TV on the ferry. And we were fed a scrumptious chicken dinner at Dina's out of the deal. Rodger had lukewarm water to drink, a banana, plenty of time to nap and read a book. Mmmmm....I think it's a toss-up.

So our lovely goat Sally is growing some enormously ugly udders and it's been freaking us out a bit. We spent 2 days doing some research on=line and talking to/emailing Vets. So we've come to the conclusion (for now) that Sally is either going through a false pregnancy or is just very hormonal, and the udders will decrease in size "eventually." Very strange indeed. Life is not boring, that's for sure.

The baby chicks are no longer babies but they are afraid to come out of their box and join the rest of the crew. Probably because one of our older hens has been seen chasing the young ones around. Chickens are mean. Why can't they just get along? Off with their heads, I say! I need Rodger to don his lumberjack "man shirt" and do just that.... to the 3 older ones who give us crappy eggs.

I went to a lovely woman's home last night, and she lives right smack downtown Victoria. I mean, walking distance to everything including the Inner Harbour and a few blocks to the Legislative buildings. She's a true Urban-ite. As I was peaking into her little (tiny) backyard garden oasis, I casually said "hey, we should do a house swap... you come live in the country for awhile and we'll come do the city thing." Now that I think about it, I really don't know if she can deal with all the livestock drama we've got going on these days. It was a nice thought.

Time to start up a super cheap batch of wine from Costco. If I was doing the house swap thing, I would just walk across the street to the James Bay Inn and order myself a big goblet of cheap wine. But I'm a Country girl now... and loving it.

Most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment