Saturday, May 15, 2010

Growth

Everything's growing around here... the kids, baby chicks, the garden, Sally's udders (hee hee), my waistline... but we won't talk about that!

The chicks have officially moved into the coop and are also officially "un-cute" as far as chickens are concerned. No longer fuzzy and cuddly, but they are showing some nice colours, especially the black ones. And we're eager for the day in August (?) when we receive our first egg-licious gifts from the girls.



My garden is doing great, now that it's warmed up and the rain has ceased (for now). The new "square foot gardening" (SFG) boxes are looking fantastic, and I'm sure there's 2 reasons for it: the special Mel's mix soil that I'm using, and the location on the driveway. It really gets the most sun and it's nice and warm there. Cameron also planted some butternut squash and gourds in 2 pots, which will climb up a trellis on the garage. And each of the kids has their own tomato plant in separate pots, which they promised me they would look after. The new 1X4 box has just been planted with green onions, lettuce, bok choy and basil.



The other existing beds at the back of the yard are definitely lush and green... with WEEDS!! But I refuse to be discouraged and will just keep at it, planting 1 square at a time. I must say that using the SFG method makes it easier to weed and therefore less daunting because (1) I can weed each square as I need to, ignoring the rest of the garden (why weed the entire box when I know there's no seeds planted in a particular square?). And (2) I know where my plants are supposed to be so I can weed around them easier within that square. For instance, if I'm trying to locate my lettuce in a square, I know that I have planted 4 holes with a small pinch of seeds in each... the rest is weeds. It's way easier for me.

Here is my lettuce - 2 of them did not come up, so I planted 2 more holes yesterday:




And here's some spinach:



Notice the weed-infested squares surrounding my planted squares.... Ruby squealed "Wow, mom!! Look at all your spinach!!" I wish.

Anyway, it's a work in progress thing! But I'm still excited about my veggies and that's the first time that's happened.

Speaking of work in progress, today has been a busy day of re-organizing and tossing out toys and clothes. So naturally, the house looks like a bomb went off right now - bins, garbage bags, Thrift Store boxes.... what a mess. But by tonight the house will be worthy of unexpected visitors, should anyone pop by tomorrow. Like that ever happens! Unfortunately.

1 comment: