Saturday, March 10, 2012

Cabinets are done, done, DONE!!

I am so excited... and exhausted. After 12 long days, my kitchen cabinets are painted and re-hung, and my kitchen is back to normal. For now, that is. I'm not done the kitchen makeover just yet... but I am taking a short break before I tackle the next thing. I'm tired.

Anyway, here's a reminder of my "before" kitchen:



And here's some "during" photos:



And here's my "After"!



I LOVE MY NEW KITCHEN! But I have to admit, during the whole process I really struggled with my decision as to whether to paint the cabinets white or antique them. My original vision was to have a white kitchen, but when I started painting the cabinets, they just looked "flat" and not quite right. So I chose to use a glaze on them and I'm so happy I did.... the look/colour just fits so much better in my home.

Today I just sat at my table and just stared at my cabinets, as the sun streamed into my window (which is rare these days). The lighter, brighter kitchen just makes me so much happier. It better, after all that work. And let me tell you, it was ALOT of work!! Oh my word, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. But I don't regret it for a minute, it was worth all the pain, exhuastion, whining... No, I didn't whine, not me! :-)

During the whole process, I also cleaned/organized/de-cluttered inside all my cabinets. You would've been amazed at all the stuff I got rid of!

Okay, as you'll see from some of my photos.... I'm in desperate need of some sort of backsplash to bring some colour into the space. I'm looking at wallpaper options but haven't figured out which direction I want to take: faux tile type of wallpaper or just something fun/geometric for a completely different look?

I thought about taking all the crap off the fridge, but who am I kidding?? My fridge is going to look like this for years to come, and who cares anyway? Oh, and on Monday I am painting the small wall by the fridge because there is very little contrast between the cabinet and wall colours... I am painting it a dark red which I think will look great.

Mmmm.... my counters are very PINK... I have ideas for that too. Once I get some sleep and my arm muscles have recovered enough to hold a paintbrush again.

1 comment:

  1. What a huge difference! It lightens up the space so much and looks great. Maybe just some fun curtains to soften the window would add the colour you need. (I realize that I don't have curtains myself!) Something bright and I like your idea of geometric patterns. You don't ever have to close them - just for the color down the sides.

    ReplyDelete