Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I need me some "HELP"!



Ever since I read the book "The Help" and watched the movie, I've been craving some good 'ol southern fried chicken.... so I googled a bunch of authentic recipes, watched a few U-Tubes on the subject, and bought a bunch of chicken, Crisco and Buttermilk.

Long story short, I stood at the stove with my hot bubbling Crisco for at least 1 1/2 hours, making chicken that was boring, greasy and only slightly crunchy. And marginally cooked... I had to put some pieces in the oven to continue cooking. Very disappointing.

I watched the U-Tube... why wasn't my chicken as good as that Chef's? He said "Let's just say, if I was stranded on an island and could only eat one thing for the rest of my life... this chicken would be it." If that were me, I'd be a very depressed 400 pound woman stuffed into a bikini, wishing Colonel Sanders would come back from the dead. meet me on the island and give me his secret recipe.

So the moral of this story is... drive to the nearest bucket place, it will save you time and frustration, even if the drive is 40 min. one-way.

Unless your name is Minnie, from Mississippi, save your Crisco people.

But my sweet cornbread turned out awesome, so dinner wasn't a complete bust. As an aside, I also made 2 loaves of whole wheat bread, a huge round Raisin Bread and dough to make buns.... but since I was so busy making cornbread and frying the chicken, I didn't get around to making the buns. The dough is currently in the garage, after rising at least twice. I don't know if I can save it??

No comments:

Post a Comment