Wednesday, November 3, 2010

In memory of a beautiful girl

We had just moved to Deep Cove, and Simon was just 7 months old. We were in need of a babysitter and one day I noticed an ad at the Deep Cove store, from a young girl who lived just down the road... "I love kids and I want to be your babysitter!" it read. I was nervous leaving my baby but I took a chance on Megan, who was a shy, very sweet young teenager. That was the beginning of an 8 year babysitting relationship, and during that time our family grew and so did Megan... into a beautiful, confident young woman. She still enjoyed babysitting even though she had a job at Safeway and went to college. We haven't needed her much over the past few years, as we don't go out much. But the kids would always want to stop in at Safeway, to the meat counter and say HI to Megan. She joined me for Card-making nights and sometimes brought her friends, grandma or mom. A lovely girl.

Today I bumped into Megan's mom while Ruby and I were going for a walk. I cheerfully said "hello" and asked how she was doing... tears welled up in her eyes as she told me that one morning, 2 months ago, Megan never woke up. She had died in her sleep and they don't even know why... they say perhaps it was similar to SIDS for adults. Her heart just simply stopped, at 22 years of age.

I am so very sad today. And when I tell the boys after school, they will be too. We will miss you Megan.

6 comments:

  1. i'm sooo sorry bonita, that's such a tragic story, i can't imagine what the family is going through...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry, Bonita. I remember her from your card making parties. Such a tragic shock. OUr prayers are with her family. Wasn't her grandma with her at one of your parties? Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew she was special because she brought her Grandma to a card making party. She was so patient with her. What a terrible loss for everyone who knew her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another reminder that we cannot fathom God and his purposes. I hope her family has a faith that can carry them through this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonita I'm so sorry to hear that...it's hard to fathom. I remember hearing about her and I think she came scrapbooking one time when I was visiting? Thinking about you guys, the kids and her family...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, she was the one who came to my card nights and encouraged/helped her Grandma so patiently. To think what her family is going through is so heart-wrenching. Cameron prayed the other night "God, please take good care of Megan". Sigh. Carolyn, you're so right that we cannot fathom God's plans for us! Anyway, thanks for sharing in my sadness.

    ReplyDelete