Thursday, September 8, 2011

My life is Peachy....


Today was my first day without children... at least for a few hours. I had dreams of sitting outside in the sunshine, enjoying a cup of coffee and maybe reading for a bit. But, as it turns out, I did no such thing. I didn't even have time to eat lunch! I rarely miss a meal if I can help it... I couldn't help it. I just managed to stuff some rice crackers & hummus in my mouth, which I don't really think classifies as lunch.

I canned peaches. Oh my word, can we say massacre?? Bernice, a lovely Grandma from Oregon who helpfully posted her step-by-step instructions (including photos) online, made it look effortless. Well, let me tell you, it was NOT. All I managed in my first attempt was to fill 6 jars, before I ran out of time and had to pick up Ruby from pre-school. And when we got home, I had just enough time to whip up a batch of peach jam, using some of the failed, squashed peaches from my canning fiasco.

I am bummed. There was no book, no un-interrupted coffee, no "doing lunch". I am exhausted. And did I mention it's close to 30 degrees today?

Later this week I will have to deal with the rest of my peaches - yikes. And then I'll have to tackle the pears eventually too. What was I thinking.....

My friends were suggesting that I do my own U-Tube on how to can peaches. But I don't think it's a good idea. Too many curse words.... "bleep bleep" peaches, "bleep" what was I thinking "bleep bleep" never doing this again, "bleep bleep" how the "bleep" did Bernice get those peels off so easily?? Seriously, how did she?

(Oh, and tonight I did another 6 of those "bleep"ing jars, so now I have 12. I think I'm good.)

Yup, my day was peachy-keen.

No comments:

Post a Comment