Friday, January 7, 2011

They made me work for it

Last year on this day, I was packing a suitcase full of tank tops, shorts, bathingsuits, sunscreen, and Maeve Binchy books. Today I am celebrating my birthday Deep Cove style, complete with rubber boots and a warm sweater. The suitcase is empty, and will remain so for a long time.

To celebrate my birthday, Rodger and the kids made up a treasure hunt for me today... I had to solve my own clues to find my present. They did a great job - it was actually a bit hard! Here was a sample of the clues:

The next leg of your quest you will perform a traditional Deep Cove chore. Go to the log pile, chop the logs on the chopping block and load the wheelbarrow, and then bring the wood to the wood shed.

On the wood stack in the shed you will find another letter and then add the wood to the stack. When you have completed your task, you will receive your next clue.

A gift awaits under the tree, a nestled block has the letter you need.
The last 3 letters spell that which you hold so dear,
An object of your affection into which you can pour a tear
At home this is faithfully by your side
And many times when you go for a ride
A hint you may need to play this card
So it rhymes with a slimy animal in our yard. (Answer: MUG! haha, yes I do love my coffee mug)

Proceed to the place revealed in the scrambled letters to unveil your priceless masterpiece. (It took me awhile to unscramble the words GUEST ROOM.

It was the only thing I truly wanted for my birthday, but I seriously did not think I would get it.... I found the ad on Used Victoria over Christmas, and within a day, the ad disappeared. I thought to myself "lucky person. That is the exact colour I would buy if I had the choice... Cinnamon."



From the genuine shock on my face, it appears that I was the lucky person. Thank you, thank you Rodger and Dad and Mom T!


Perhaps tomorrow I will have my brief moment of sadness over not getting on a plane to head somewhere hot & sunny. But I'm thinking I'll get over it with a quick trip to Thrifty's for some yeast so I can bake some bread using my fancy machine... once I figure out how to use it.

3 comments:

  1. Plug it in and flick the switch to "2" for kneading bread. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ev... I tried the basic white recipe on Saturday and the bread smelled very yeasty. It worked out fine and tasted good though. How long do you let the yeast (dissolve) sit in the warm water before you proceed? They aren't clear on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't actually let the yeast sit at all. The yeast is the last thing I put into the mixer and I start it right away. If you're using the recipe I gave you (2 Tbsp yeast for about 6 cups flour), I've cut it down to 1 Tbsp and patiently wait for a longer rise. I love the yeasty taste on day 1, but not if the bread lasts longer than that. Depending on the day and whether or not I'm using whole wheat, it can take 4 hours in total instead of the 2 hours that the recipe says.

    ReplyDelete