Friday, April 30, 2010

Talstra Bootcamp


The main thing I love about exercising in my own environment is that I can decide at the drop of a hat to exercise "right now!"... I have do it when motivation strikes, 'cause let me tell you, the feeling passes rather quickly. Today was like that. I really, really didn't feel like exercising (what a shocker!) but all of a sudden I looked at the clock and thought "hey, I have 40 min. before I have to make dinner.... I gotta do it now!". So that's what I did. And the kids joined me, which I absolutely LOVE!!

I wish I had someone taking a video of the kids and I doing jumping jacks, step-ups, relay races down the yard and push-ups on the picnic table ... so fun! And the video would capture the appropriate grunting sounds from Ruby - hers are fake, mine are very real. And it would also capture the goats wanting a part of the action. Who needs a gym... I love my yard.

Sometimes I follow a routine that I have written down, but mostly I just make sure I keep moving and mix up some cardio with strength training. So this is basically what I did (with some running around the yard while I thought of the next exercise)... X 2:

1. Warm up for 5-10 min: Fast walking, jogging, sprints, skipping, chasing kids

2. Push-ups on picnic table
3. Chair dips on picnic table
4. Step-ups on picnic table
5. Sprints & jumping jacks intervals
6. Walking lunges
7. Deadlift and row - 10 lb. weights
8. Squat and press - 10 lb. weights
9. Bridge (I call these butt squishers)
10. Sit-ups

You can do these exercises in the house too... so if it's raining (or snowing!) there's no excuse! The cardio could be modified to jogging on the spot, jumping jacks, climbing stairs... whatever you can do in your space to just get the heart rate up!! Come on... seriously, if a lazy slug like me can do this, so can you! Rah Rah!

All that motivational speaking has exhausted me.

Yeah, so now I'm off to do some baking for Jeremy's wedding... and of course, I'll have to sample some of it to make sure it's worthy. (Maybe I should've chased the kids around the yard for a just a few more laps...)

(P.S. Original artwork by J. Lobb :-)

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post Bonita! Very inspiring... Maybe I'll try to get offmy butt today... Seems like nice weather for a bike ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you'd learned to draw - I was going to compliment you on that new skill. I'll compliment you on your ability to get off your butt and exercise instead. Good for you! I haven't done that in a while, although shovelling dirt must count for something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ev, you'll have fabulous arms by the summertime if you keep shoveling dirt... and snow too! :-)

    ReplyDelete