Thursday, April 29, 2010

Grow babies... grow!!


I was hoping that if I stared at my garden long enough, little green sprouty things would magically appear. So I tried that, and it didn't work. Well, there are a few things coming up, like radishes and spinach, and I think the chard is also making an appearance too but it'll be a few more days before I know for sure.

So I've decided, at the urging of my buddy Lisa, to try "square foot gardening" this year, in my existing raised beds as well as a newly created 2X4 bed on the driveway. Right now I am very excited about the prospects of it, but also a bit leery. Not leery about the SFG idea, but leery of my tendency to get excited about something, embrace it full-force and then come to a screeching halt as my motivation for said project completely disappears. And before I know it, I'm sitting on my butt, drinking a coffee and watching the enormous weeds take over my garden as I ignore my plot for another season.


In spite of my lazy nature, Lisa won't let that happen to my garden. Thank goodness for obsessive compulsive friends!

3 comments:

  1. I've heard about sfg did rodger build them? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying "Larger Space Gardening" this year. I've got half of my front yard, the original plot in the back, a big raised bed in a neighbours yard, and half of the back yard of a rental property 10 minutes away. Room for squash, melons, cucumbers and corn. Yay! Now if only the snow will melt again and warm up a bit out there, I can have soil delivered, level it and get going!

    Good for you for trying again. Are you using your raised beds again too? Do you still have them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's alot of garden! Yes, I still have the 2 raised beds which I squared off and am trying the SFG there too, with my existing, weed-infeested soil. The new box is my experiment to see if it grows better using the soil mix that they recommend... equal parts compost, vermiculite and peat moss. We'll see! I'll just be impressed with myself if I can actually keep motivated to look after it!

    Carol, I'm reading the "All New Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew... it's a great book and the concept makes so much sense. You can grow melons, squash, cucumbers, etc. too on trailers or an outside "square" for room. Anyway, his website also explains everything really well.... just google it.

    ReplyDelete