Friday, April 13, 2012

The Big Reveal

Well, it took over 2 months from start to finish... but I'm done my kitchen!! Yay! (Okay, well, I'm not 100% done but I'm not painting my fridge until the Summer...then I'll be done.)

It's been almost 2 weeks since I started painting my countertops, and approx. 10 days since I finished. Today I'm slowly & carefully starting to move back into the kitchen - I'm anxious for my life to get back to normal. It's been difficult to live without a functioning kitchen for such a long time, but we managed. I set up a folding table in the family room for our toaster/coffee maker/bread box, and it worked pretty well. I also had a little white table in the kitchen for cooking/prepping... using this tiny table has made me appreciate how large my actual kitchen is!

I used Giani Granite paint on my counters and it turned out great! I used the Chocolate Brown kit. I was pretty nervous about messing up my perfectly good (pink and dated) counters, but after reading a ton of reviews on the product, I decided to order it on-line. I couldn't get it locally, so I paid an extra $35 for shipping, but I feel it was worth it anyway.

Here's some "During" photos... first you prime with black primer, then you sponge on the 3 mineral paints and then roll on 2 clear coats which need to harden and cure for 14 days.



After all my hard work, my kitchen went from this:



To this:





I am so HAPPY!! And I'm so proud of myself. Yay me.

Here's a breakdown on the cost of my Kitchen Makeover:

Wall Paint: $0
Cabinet Paint: $100
Counter Paint: $110
Hardware: $75
Backsplash wallpaper: $50
Light Fixtures: $50
Artwork & accessories: $100
Take-out Dinners: $0

Grand Total: $485

Was it worth it? Oh yeah... every penny. Now, if I could just find my sewing machine in all this chaos, I could whip up a quilted table runner tonight to jazz up my table... maybe I can do that while the Canucks are beating L.A. tonight??

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Wow! WOW!!!! Yay you, indeed! I am truly impressed...and I LOVE the backsplash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks amazing, Bonita...you have got me thinking :)

    ReplyDelete